Photo by: Colin Haley
About Rob Smith
Rob was raised in Southern California and learned to climb and backcountry snowboard in Yosemite and the Sierras. He’s been actively pursuing these passions for 20 years. Rob began his career as a mountain guide while studying abroad earning his Bachelor of Science degree in locations that allowed him to build a diverse skill set in the mountains. Since 2002 he has been traveling the world to coach, guide, climb, and snowboard in the Alps, Canadian Rockies, Patagonia, Alaska, Yosemite, and beyond. Today Rob splits his time between Boulder, Colorado and Chamonix, France with his wife Jackie and his cat Bugaboo.
Rob is a UIAGM/IFMGA Mountain Guide certified in all three disciplines (Alpine , Rock, and Ski) and an accomplished splitboarder. Rob has been splitboarding since 2001 and has traveled the world riding and guiding some of the world’s most awe-inspiring ski and snowboard descents. Rob’s greatest passion today is light-and-fast alpinism. He recently made the first ascent of Hunger Games: a technical 14-pitch route on an unclimbed peak in the remote San Lorenzo Massif of Patagonia. With his longtime climbing partner, Rob also recently completed the first one-day ascent (18 hours) of the Infinite Spur on Mount Foraker in the Alaska Range (3,000 meters, WI4+ M5). When he’s not guiding or coaching, Rob is working tirelessly to hone his mental resilience and technical skills in constant pursuit of the next big challenge.
Rob’s Accomplishments & Experience
- Free ascents of traditionally protected rock climbs up to 5.13
- Ice and Mixed ascents up to WI6+ and M10
- Countless single-push, Alpine-style ascents in the Alaska Range, Canadian Rockies, Peruvian Andes, Alps, and Patagonia
- 13 Climbing expeditions to Alaska, 5 winters in the Alps, 4 winters in the Canadian Rockies, 6 expeditions to Patagonia, and 2 expeditions to the Peruvian Andes
- 1st UIAGM/IFMGA guide to complete entire certification on a splitboard
- Working as a mountain guide since 2002